Our Blog

TN CPA Professional Blog

The TN CPA Team is your source for the latest Canadian tax news and updates on changing tax laws.

We are pleased to provide a variety of resources on accounting, bookkeeping taxation, and other related subjects that we hope will be helpful to both individuals and businesses.

If you have any questions, simply contact us by email or call 416-318-6789. We will be happy to meet with you for a free, no-obligation consultation.

Font size: +
2 minutes reading time (332 words)

Retroactive Disability Tax Credit Claims

If you believe that you were eligible for the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) in previous years but did not claim it, you may be able to make a retroactive claim. Retroactive claims allow you to request adjustments to previous tax returns and potentially receive refunds for the missed credits.

Here are the steps to make a retroactive Disability Tax Credit claim in Canada:

  1. Determine eligibility: Assess whether you meet the eligibility criteria for the DTC in the years you wish to make a retroactive claim. The eligibility requirements remain the same for retroactive claims.
  2. Complete Form T1ADJ: To request adjustments to previous tax returns, use Form T1ADJ - T1 Adjustment Request. Indicate the specific year(s) for which you are making the retroactive claim.
  3. Obtain a completed Form T2201: Have a certified medical practitioner complete a Disability Tax Credit Certificate (Form T2201) for each year you are making a retroactive claim. The form should clearly indicate that you met the eligibility criteria in those years.
  4. Submit the documentation: Send the completed Form T1ADJ and the corresponding Form T2201(s) to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Include a cover letter explaining that you are making a retroactive claim for the Disability Tax Credit and provide any necessary supporting documentation.
  5. CRA review: The CRA will review your retroactive claim and the supporting documentation provided. They may contact you or your medical practitioner for additional information or clarification.
  6. Notification and adjustment: If the CRA approves your retroactive claim, they will send you a Notice of Reassessment outlining the adjustments made to your previous tax returns. This may result in a refund if you overpaid taxes in those years.

It's important to note that there are time limits for making retroactive claims. Generally, you can request adjustments for tax returns filed within the past 10 years. However, the specific rules and limitations may vary, so it's advisable that you contact our office for assistance. I also recommend consulting the official Canada Revenue Agency website or contacting them directly.

Stay Informed

When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.

The Disability Tax Credit & Low-Income Individuals
The Disability Tax Credit Claim in Canada

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Friday, 24 May 2024

Contact Us

Our Office

TN CPA Professional
4307 Village Centre Pl, Unit 104
Mississauga, ON
L4Z 1S2



We're Easy to Find